It’s time for one of my favourite posts of the year! The chance to look back on the previous 12 months reading and pick out my top books of the year.
When looking back on books I’ve read over the last year for this list, I decided to go with what I did last year and narrowed the list down initially by picking out the books I rated with 5⭐️. (I’ve also decided to limit myself to one book per author, and if a book was part of a series, it had to be a series I started this year. So here, in no particular order, here are the 13 books that make up my 2016 Top Ten!
- Cloudboud by Fran Wilde
The second book of the series, I listened to both audiobooks this year, I think this one just edges it as the better of the two, building on the world set up in the first.
- Wing Jones by Katherine Webber
Still stand by my initial review of ‘punch the air’ brilliance, and Wing wins my Favourite Character of the Year title.
- The Sign of One by Eugene Lambert
Loved Kyle and Sky’s adventures!
- We Should all be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Very nice reproduction of Adichie’s speech.
- The Call by Peadar O Guillin
- Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
Mia, was another of my favourite characters this year, and Kristoff really puts her (and his readers) through the mill in Nevernight. A dark and utterly gripping story.
- Unboxed by Non Pratt
Touching brilliance from Non, and almost won my Cast of the Year title.
- Am I Normal Yet by Holly Bourne
I loved, loved, loved Evie’s story, and she was very nearly selected as my Favourite Character title, had Wing not run off with it. It was, however, by some margin (and considering how bloody brilliant some of the other ones were, this is saying something!) my Favourite Audiobook of the Year.
- Summer Days and Summer Nights by Various.
I often have a hit or miss relationship with
- The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
Twitter was telling be for months how great this book was, and they were right, it is as good as everyone says, the crew of the Wayfarer take the title of my Cast of the Year!
- Seriously Funny: The Endlessly Quotable Terry Pratchett
Some of Pterry’s best quotes. ‘Nuff said!
- Defender of the Realm by Nick Ostler
Brilliant middle-grade fun!
- The Fox and the Star by Coralie Bixford-Smith
One of the first books I read this year, and what a way to start! Beautiful work.
The Other 5⭐️ Reads
These are the other books that I rated 5⭐️’s this year, but because they were books as part of a series I had already started didn’t make the shortlist.
· Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo · The Creeping Shadow by Jonathan Stroud · Shiverton Hall: The Creeper by Emerald Fennell · Staked by Kevin Hearne · Lumberjanes Vol 3 by Noelle Stevenson · Lazarus Vol 4 By Greg Rucka · Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by John Tiffany, Jack Thorne, & J.K. Rowling · Lazarus Vol 3 by Greg Rucka · Lumberjanes Vol 2 by Noelle Stevenson · Shattered by Kevin Hearne, Hunted by Kevin Hearne · Darkest Night by Will Hill.
Which just leaves me with picking my favourite books of the year, and even though he carries out a heinous act towards the end that nearly had me throwing the book against the wall, is…