I’ve not taken part in Top Ten Tuesdays for a while, and as today’s theme is Top Ten Resolutions, and I’m trying to get back into the blogging habit this year, it seems like this is a good time to set out a few aims.
- So, number one. Without making it in to work, I really need to get some habit back into blogging. When I hit my blogging slump last year, one of the things that made feel so difficult was I got out of the habit, so even when I started to feel more like it, it wasn’t as easy or automatic as it used to be.
- Finish the books I’ve started. I started so many books last year, that I just didn’t finish for one reason or another. My ‘currently reading’ Goodreads shelf, shows ten books I’m currently in the process of reading. (there’s probably a couple more I never added as well). They are nearly all are books I really, really wanted to read. I might a few chapters in or just a few pages, but I really need to clear the pile next to my bed sooner rather than later.
- Clear my @netgalley books and review them. I’m not too bad with my net galley requests, but I have request a few over the last month or so, and I want to keep up with them as much as possible.
- Related to that, catch up on the physical review pile. I’m not too bothered by the books I’ve been automatically sent (I’ll get to a lot of them eventually), but the ones I’ve requested or said ‘yes’ to, I really need to get a few of those read and reviewed.
- Which brings me to resolution number 5. Be a little more discerning regarding accepting review requests. Do I really want to read the book? Do I have time? Hopefully can keep a little of the pressure/guilt off by just pulling back a little.
- Try and write reviews closer to when I finish the book. At the very least make sure I get a draft/template ready.
- Post more to my Crackin’ Characters series. I’ve really enjoyed the few posts I’ve written in this series so far, and the way it lets me talk about some favourite books in a different way than a review. I’ve got plenty of characters I’d love to introduce you to, so I need to get back to this.
- Whilst I quite like Feedly, the loss of Google Reader almost completely killed by blog reading. Whilst I want to keep a ‘cap’ on my review copies, I really miss discovering great new books and authors that you are all reading out there. So I want to get back to reading and commenting on blogs regularly. Even if it means culling some blogs from the reading list.
- Try to keep a better weather-eye out on community events, over the last few years, I keep either nearly or totally missing out on readathons/blog hops/book-swap/seasonal events etc. Leading to feeling a bit ‘disconnected’ (is probably the best word) at times.
- Relax and enjoy all of the above, and everything else to do with reading and blogging!
Well those are mine. Have you made any bookish resolutions this year?