Virtual Advent Tour

I’m taking part in the Virtual Advent Tour again this year, as always it’s hosted by Kelly of The Written World and Marg of The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader!

I wasn’t sure what to post this year, when on Wednesday night, when I was out celebrating my dad’s birthday, with my dad, brother. We were sat chatting with some people we knew when we got around to talking about favourite songs.

And it just so happens that my favourite ever Christmas song is also my favourite song as well. That song is Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl. So, I thought I’d search a few different versions and post them for your listening delight! :)

The Pogues ft Katie Melua

While I like Katie Melua normally, I don’t think she has the venom and bile necessary to carry it off, but I’m showing this one for the quality of Shane MacGowan’s performance. 😉

Shane McGowan & Joyce Redmond

Another ‘interesting’ performance by Shane in this one, and Joyce does a pretty good job, but it’s the extra ‘umph’ provided by Sharon Shannon and her band that I like this one for.

The Pogues ft Sinéad O’Connor

Come along and sing-along with them now!

But nothing beats the classic!:

Don’t forget to visit the others taking part in the Virtual Advent tour today.

8 thoughts on “Virtual Advent Tour

• December 9 at 12:26 am

This was a fun post. I don’t have much Christmas music, and don’t think I have heard of this one. I really enjoyed hearing the different versions. i prefer the last one, too. Merry Christmas, Darren!

• December 9 at 1:46 am

I seem to think that we have an album by the Chieftans with this one on it… but maybe I’m misremembering… at any rate. I really like it. Thanks for sharing!

• December 10 at 4:07 am

Fun idea! The holiday means music of one sort or another and it is always fun to hear what song/songs epitomize Christmas for people. I have a hard time figuring out every year what I want to do for the tour as well, glad I’m not alone in that. :)

• December 10 at 11:10 am

I am so glad that you chose to highlight this song in the way you did. I like traditional Christmas songs but I am always glad to find more unusual ones! One that I heard for the first time a couple of years ago and really love now is Tim Minchin’s White Wine in the Sun!

Thanks for your support of the tour. If it is any consolation I really struggle sometimes too and I host the tour! lol

• December 12 at 5:48 pm

That was a new one to me. Love the Irish rhythms.

• December 13 at 3:06 am

I love it! I always enjoy hearing of new songs. :)

• December 22 at 7:05 pm

Brand new to me. I’ve never heard of this. Quirky.

Comments are closed.