10 Reasons Why YA Fiction Rocks (Even For Slightly Older Adults!)

ten

Since the 19th of July, The Book Smugglers have been celebrating their Young Adult Appreciation Month, with guest posts, authors interviews, reviews and giveaways. But today they have thrown the door open to everybody else, to discuss all things Young Adult in the bookish world.

So without further ado, I present, In no particular order, 10 Reasons Why YA Fiction Rocks (Even For Slightly Older Adults!)…

1. It’s more about the story, than the cleverness of the author.
  2. Interesting characters.
  3. Who not only serve the story, often are the story.
  4. and who you actually care about.
  5. Some of the most talented writers in the business write YA.
  6. John Green.
  7. Emotionally engaging writing.
  8. Plot and Meaning
  9. Great pacing.
  10. Entertaining and often the most powerful tales you can hope to find.

Feel free to add your own reasons; why young adult fiction rocks, in the comments section. 😀

27 thoughts on “10 Reasons Why YA Fiction Rocks (Even For Slightly Older Adults!)

• August 23 at 1:45 am

I totally agree with your list. I’m a 7th grade English teacher, and I’d rather read YA than anything else. I especially like “plot and meaning”. So true. I’ve read 17 YA books this summer and enjoyed them more than 17 adult books I’ve read. Adult lit just seems to try too hard to be “literature” not just a story. If that makes sense.
    .-= Jill´s last blog ..Weekend MEME =-.

• August 16 at 5:13 pm

I’d say “Yes to all of these points”, but I join the ranks of the people who haven’t read John Green, so I can’t really agree on that one. ^-~ (In fact, before now, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the man. ^-^; )

I suppose I might ‘replace’ it with “YA generally possess the perfect length/reading speed ratio”, but that’s probably specific to me…
    .-= Shanra´s last blog ..Blogsurfing story… =-.

• August 18 at 9:48 pm

No, I think that’s another excellent reason. 🙂 And explains a lot better what I was trying to say on another comment!

• August 16 at 10:43 am

I know I said there was no particular order, there is a reason that one is #1 😉

• August 16 at 5:35 am

John Green is on my TBR list but I haven’t yet read anything by him yet. Maybe I should try and put him up the list a little.
    .-= Marg´s last blog ..The Book Thief by Markus Zusak =-.

• August 16 at 10:39 am

They really are (the tech savvy ones anyway) 😀

• Pingback: OnHold part 2 o “crónica campechaneada…” | EndlessWords

• August 16 at 10:37 am

I don’t think you’ll regret reading some John Green. 😀

• August 15 at 4:16 pm

It’s also more immediate and gripping I often find. If I want something to get me out of a reading slump or something escapist I generally grab a ya read.
    I also second the ‘it takes you back comment’, it reminds you how powerful and sharp edged teenage ‘first love’ or the pain of parent/friend/peer pressure etc is for teens – as a teacher I get kids bawling at points, or mega angry and it is all to easy to dismiss because we’re adults and assume it is all more painful for us.
    .-= katrina´s last blog ..My Thoughts: The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint =-.

• August 16 at 10:36 am

I think you’re not alone with using YA to get out of a reading slump. I know myself if I want a read that I can just “rip” straight though it would tend to be a YA novel, for all the reasons I listed in the post.

• August 15 at 3:35 pm

Amen to number 1! That’s the main reason I love YA fiction. I feel like sometimes adult fiction is all about the prose (which can be enjoyable) and while an author that can’t write at all (ahem – Stephenie Meyer) isn’t all that enjoyable to read I hate books that sacrifice story and plot to show off what a great writer the author is!

• August 16 at 10:28 am

Without naming names 😉 I have always said their is a difference between being a great writer and a great storyteller, I tend to gravitate towards the storyteller. Of course there are some writers who manage to be both.

• August 15 at 3:04 pm

I love #6 John Green! I agree. Mainly I love just YA authors. Their blogs, facebook pages, and twitter accounts let you be more in touch with them than any adult authors. YA authors are so visable and easy to connect with.
    .-= Rochelle´s last blog ..Princess Bookie Contest =-.

• August 16 at 10:11 am

You are completely right there, most of the big names are excellent at interacting with their readership.

• August 16 at 10:08 am

Completely agree about John Green!

• August 16 at 10:08 am

You must read some John Green! I’d start with Looking for Alaska.

• August 16 at 10:07 am

Ah yes, going back to being a teenager again, without all the hassle of being one! 😀

Comments for this post are closed. Why not send me a tweet instead?

For more posts like this, please follow me on Bloglovin'