Top Ten: Harry Potter Characters

Harry

What with the upcoming release of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince film (the world premier was last night in London) I thought I’d do another of my top top ten character lists, this time looking at characters from the Harry Potter books.

Now, I’ve been around the Harry Potter fandom long enough to realise that  whoever I chose is as likely to get me flamed as receive nods of agreement! 😉 So feel free to disagree and post your own lists in the comments!

I’ll start with making it clear that despite being inspired to post by the upcoming movie. I’m talking about the book characters here, not the film actors ;). I started reading the series around 2001/2 ish when after talking to my brother and his young son about the books, when my nephew handed me the book and told me to read it!

Now, I knew my nephew was the sort to quiz me later! So I thought I’d skim the book and be done with it… Yeah right! Like that was going to happen. 10 days, a chamber, a prisoner and a fiery goblet later, I was a fan!

So, here goes, my ten favourite characters in the series:

1. tenHarry Potter (You’d be surprise at just how many of these lists I’ve seen that miss the poor guy out!)
  2. Ginny Weasley (I knew from the start, that’s all I’m saying. 😉 and you can check out my fanfic if you want proof!)
  3. Ron Weasley (Best mate a hero could ask for)
  4. Neville Longbottom (I just knew he’d have his day!)
  5. Luna Lovegood (For all her scattyness, she’s often the best at saying the right thing)
  6. Albus Dumbledore
  7. Hermione Granger
  8. Severus Snape (I can honestly say I always confident he was Dumbledore’s man, well mostly confident anyway!)
  9. Minerva Mcgonagall (Everyone’s favourite teacher!)
  10. Molly Weasley (Everyone’s favourite mum!)

Okay, so who would you pick? And what made you pick up the series in the first place? Or, you can tell me off for not including Sirius in the comments!

Snape

20 thoughts on “Top Ten: Harry Potter Characters

• July 8 at 9:12 pm

Hey Bart, this is an excellent top ten list. I love the Harry Potter series, I thought you made some good picks, Dumbledore would probably be my #2. I found you through Twitter and am now following you, we are @toptentopten.

• July 8 at 10:03 pm

*waves her little Sirius flag* Though not the Sirius of the films, just the books. Was also very fond of Crookshanks!

• July 8 at 10:09 pm

For my own safety :) I should probably make it clear I do like the character of Sirius, he’s just not in my top ten.

• July 8 at 11:31 pm

Snape. Not doubt about it. He has always been my favorite character despite book six. Hermione would have to be my second favorite, followed by Harry. Ron, despite being apart of the trio, was never a favorite of mine for some reason.
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..Blogging Break =-.

• July 9 at 1:29 am

I love Harry! I spent so long trying to decide who was my favorite character, and I think it really is Harry. Bless him, he grew up so responsible and brave! But I would add Lupin to the list, except in the seventh book when he gets all irresponsible and whiny-face.
    .-= Jenny´s last blog ..Ordinary Victories, Manu Larcenet =-.

• July 9 at 4:27 am

Mad Eye Moody would have to be somewhere on my list. He is so delightfully cantankerous! What a fun way to celebrate the new Harry Potter. Hopefully I’ll have the chance to actually see this movie in the theater.
    .-= Hilarie´s last blog ..Happy Blogoversary! =-.

• July 9 at 3:48 pm

There are SO MANY great characters in these books that I doubt I could narrow it down to ten. I’m excited to see the next movie (hopefully sometime this coming week!) and will probably have to revisit the books at some point. I’ve already done the audio versions with my son (he’s 7 now) and they are excellent as well.
    .-= Heather J.´s last blog ..My Favorite Reads: The Mists of Avalon =-.

• July 9 at 9:05 pm

Is it bad that I have listened to both Stephen Fry’s and Jim Dale’s version of all the books? 😉

• July 9 at 5:15 pm

Hermione at 7th! and no Sirius! Shocking!
    I’d have Dumbledore at Number 1. I’d also include the twins and Ron’s dad.
    Keep meaning to reread the books, I discovered them when the fourth one came out, around the same time as the first film
    .-= katrina´s last blog ..My Thoughts: The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera =-.

• July 9 at 6:14 pm

Luna Lovegood is indeed a good one. Sirius is definitely one of my favorites–I was devastated in book 5 and in denial until the last page of book 7. :)
    .-= Trish´s last blog ..The Complete Maus – Art Spiegelman =-.

• July 12 at 9:31 am

Great list – though I think I would put Hermione at number two – if not number one actually. Let’s be honest in the early days she was the brains of the outfit 😉

• July 12 at 10:11 am

Let’s face it she was probably the brains at the end as well, even if Harry had more ‘instinct’ as to what to do next. 😀

• July 31 at 7:57 pm

My Top Three:
    Luna Lovegood
    Hermione Granger
    Severus Snape

but I have to say, as much as I don’t like the movies, they have contributed a lot to my choices:)
    .-= Valentina´s last blog ..Some photos… =-.

• November 23 at 4:16 am

I would probably have George as my number 1 and Fred for a Number 2. ^^

Oh, and my friend my friend might kill me if I don’t put Draco Somewhere in there. >.>

• April 14 at 9:46 pm

9.Hermione Granger
    10.Hagrid

Now thats a list 😀

• May 28 at 10:06 pm

yeah Sirius of da books!! 😛

• July 22 at 2:03 am

Bellatrix… She’s an extremely interesting character. Draco deserves some recognition too.

• Pingback: My Top-Ten Characters in the Thursday Next Series by Jasper Fforde